Overview and Process for Making Property Changes
The Alfred Village Historic District was granted this designation in 1987 by the U. S. National Register of Historic Places. This District, consisting of 133 properties, encompasses much of the Village’s core with a significant concentration of residential, commercial, civic and religious architecture. The area includes both sides of most of Main Street, as well as sections of Church, Ford, Glen, Park, Sayles, Terrace and West University Streets. Two individual properties, namely Fireman’s Hall, the present Alfred Village Hall, (ca.1890) and the Terra Cotta Building (ca.1892) were listed on the National Register in 1972 and 1980 respectively.
Structures in the District date from ca.1818 to the 1930s and are predominately residential. These vary in a broad range of popular American architectural styles, such as Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Octagon, Italianate, Italian Villa, Queen Anne/Eastlake, Romanesque Revival, Colonial Revival, and Neoclassical. The most striking feature of this District is the numerous red terra-cotta tile roofs, which reflect the proximity and importance of the local ceramic industry. A nationally-renowned educational center for ceramic art & engineering, The New York State College of Ceramics, is located within the village.
The Historic District includes the following streets and addresses: South Main Street: 5-75; 8-74; North Main Street: 1-143; 2-134; Ford Street: 2-6; Terrace Street: 15-17; 2-20; Sayles Street: 9-23; 2-10; Glen Street: 6-8; West University Street: 4; 1-9; Park Street: 2-22, including South Hall & Crandall Hall; Church Street: 5-11; 8-18, including the Alfred Seventh Day Baptist Church.
If exterior improvements in materials or design to property within this District are contemplated, the owner must file a Site Development Plan with the Code Enforcement Officer for approval. Then, before work can begin — other than normal maintenance — the Site Development Plan must be reviewed and approved by the Alfred Village Planning Board. These forms are available in the lobby of the Village Clerk or on the Village website. Also available in the lobby is a helpful booklet — “Questions and Answers About Permits, Planning and Zoning”.